Monday, May 24, 2010

Dissension and Denim skirts

So Mickel and I spoke in Sacrament Meeting on Sunday. Our topic was Matt. 4:19 "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men." Pretty easy, right? WRONG! I studied and prayed all week and it still took until late Saturday night until I felt like it was actually coming together. We were asked to keep it centered around Christ and I decided to focus on the "Follow me" part. After talking a little bit about different attributes of Christ I talked about judging others. It wasn't originally part of the talk, but Sunday morning I felt like I should add it. (A little background- for sometime now a couple of people in our ward have freely express their opinion that our church leaders have asked us to not wear denim to church. You know, like they asked us not to wear flip flops. Well, I LOVE my denim skirt and at times have felt quite upset by their comments. They have even gone as far as to imply that I must not have a pure heart because of it. It doesn't bother me as much anymore. I believe I'm appropriately dressed and if they have a problem, it is just that- THIER problem.) I used this denim skirt situation as an example of how judging people can negatively effect them. For the most part, people were supportive and one brother in the ward even gave me a hug and congratulated me on my 'boldness'. But, there were a few in the ward who acted kind of funny afterward. Feeling guilty maybe? I don't know. Whatever it was, it was just enough to make me second guess my decision to speak about it from the pulpit. Well, as I've talked to Mickel about it, and had input from friends, I no longer wonder about the decision. Why do they feel they have the right to make snotty comments about what I wear to church? Especially when it's thier opinion, not something that the church has ever said. The only problem? The main offender wasn't even there! Dang it! :) Oh well, my friends and I have decided that next Sunday will be denim skirt day. Want to join us?

2 comments:

  1. If I were allowed to go to church this Sunday I totally would...even if I'm not in your ward. I adore my denim skirts. I'll wear mine as soon as I'm able. :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend of mine, a few years back, was working for the Church in the Church Office Building. One day, he was at work and was wearing an obviously cream-colored shirt instead of the usual white shirt. He told me that he ended up in the elevator that day with a church leader whose name he assured me I would know. As the leader stepped off the elevator, he turned to my friend and said "I applaud your courage, but question your judgment."

    Kind of reminds me of the "boldness" comment. ;)

    Keep wearing the denim, cousin! My wife is keeping up the effort in our ward. :D

    ReplyDelete